ASSISTANT LIBRARY DIRECTOR:
The Bellaire Public Library (BPL) in Bellaire, Ohio, is seeking a full-time (37.5 hours/week) salaried Assistant Library Director. Bellaire, Ohio is a small community located on the eastern border of Ohio, 120 miles east of Columbus and 60 miles west of Pittsburgh, PA. BPL serves over 9,000 residents in Bellaire and surrounding area. BPL staffs five full-time and four part-time employees. The Assistant Director reports to the Library Director.
Core responsibilities include:
- Assists with the scheduling of staff and the direction, training, and supervision of daily operations according to policies and procedures, making judgements accordingly and consulting with the director as needed
- Assists director, as requested, with special projects such as documentation, policies, programming, grant writing, outreach, publicity, and other administrative duties
- Works with the director and technical services to order needed supplies and materials and ensures incoming items are processed and cataloged accurately
- Works with the director to maintain the collection, including but not limited to weeding, shifting, labeling or relabeling, etc.
- Assists in the processing of archival and local history materials
- Manages the statewide delivery service for the library (cargo)
- Assists the director with staff evaluations and hiring/terminating recommendations
- Keeps current on the use of the automated library management system, statistical analytic systems, and offered library databases
- Keeps statistics, reports, and records as necessary
- Performs outreach to schools and oversees the Children’s and Teen Specialist
- Attends various meetings and conferences as a representative of the library as needed
- Performs day-to-day library tasks as needed such as circulation, reference, shelving, etc.
- Manages the library in the absence of the director
- Other duties as assigned/needed
QUALIFICATIONS: Liberal Art Baccalaureate degree and some proven prior library experience required. MLS/MLIS will be given priority. Must be service and detail oriented with excellent interpersonal skills and public service manners for modeling customer service expectations. Must possess good communication skills, oral and written, and direct and supervise staff in a way that fosters teamwork. Must be able to work independently, organize and prioritize work, respond to varied/changing work demands and make decisions as required. Must be digitally literate with broad experience in current technologies and software as well as integrated library systems. Prior management or supervisory experience is a plus. Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation a must.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Benefits include health insurance and retirement. The position is covered by the Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS).
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please email (1) a cover letter describing how your skills and experience meet job qualifications, (2) a detailed resume, (3) the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references to Library Director Erin Rothenbuehler at firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line: Application for Assistant Director Position.
The Bellaire Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. Selection of employees is based solely on the requirements of the position, with due attention to educational and technical qualifications, personality, intellectual ability, and general aptitude for the position involved. Age, race, sex, marital status, political opinions, or religious beliefs are not factors to be considered.